The meeting of the Beaufort County Genealogical Society met on 1 April 2023 at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints at 80 Cedar Circle, Washington, N.C. The meeting was called to order at 2:00 p.m. by President Ted Hill. Ladies from the DAR in Cary were in attendance for the up-coming program. Mr. Hill welcomed everyone attending.
The minutes of the March 4th meeting were read by Secretary Crestena Oakley. A motion was made by Russell Tyson, second by Terry Woolard, to approved the minutes as read. Motion passed.
Treasurer, Terry Woolard, reported on the ending balance and that he made a deposit on March 17th .
Corresponding Secretary, Debbie Donnelly, was absent. She sent word by Russell Tyson that there was no correspondence this month.
Louise Cowell reviewed some of the books she has sold. She reported that the sales are picking up.
Chris Oakley reported on the cemeteries she is working on. She has merged and is continuing to merge the up-dates from Ted Hill and Robin Pendergraft with hers. A suggestion was made that during the summer this year, her daughter, Trudy Garris, will help her put all the Southside Cemeteries on a flash drive. Once it is completed, BCGS may want to sell the publication as a flash drive. That will have to be decided later.
Robin Pendergraft and Cindy Foster gave a program on “How to Research on Find a Grave”
website and “How to Become a Find a Grave Contributor.” There are 226 million graves and memorials on the web site, www.findagrave.com. They went through the steps to find and record each gravestone name, birth, and death information. Please remember that the contributions are made by volunteers and the data may not be 100% correct, so verify the information. Everyone enjoyed the presentation.
- Approval of By-Laws: The membership received a copy of the by-laws as approved by the Board of Directors. Edgar Swindell motion, Terry Woolard seconded, that the by-laws be approved as submitted. Motion carried. These by-laws will be sent to Victor Jones, Journal Editor, for placement in the June, 2023 Journal.
- Surname survey: The form was up-dated and given to Floyd Bowen, chairman of the surname committee. He will use this form to collect the information for the surname booklet.
- The membership application for the web page was up-dated and sent to Sara Whitford for placement on the BCGS web site.
- Information from Hyde County Historical & Genealogical Society: They are asking us to send a letter to our representative asking that they consider the proposal for the Mattamuskeet Lodge. Representatives are: Keith.email@example.com and Norman.firstname.lastname@example.org. The proposal comes up on April 1st and May 1st.
- BCGS Web Page: Add the minutes to the web site by sending to Sara Whitford. The Secretary will do this each month after the meeting. web site: bcgsonline.org
- Journal Articles: we should write articles for the journal and send to the journal editor: email@example.com. We have a June and a December Journal each year.
- Programs for the coming months: Ted Hill will present a 3-part series on the “History of the Indians and the Early Settlers in Eastern, North Carolina. Part I will begin on May 6, 2023.
Part II will follow in June with “Some History of the Indians in North Carolina; Part III on “The Tuscarora War” will follow in September.
A motion was made by Edgar Swindell, second by Terry Woolard, to adjourn the meeting at 4:42 p.m.
Minutes by Secretary, Crestena Jennings Oakley
April 1, 2023.